18/6 Intermittent Fasting: What It Is and What Benefits It Can Offer
18:6 is a popular method of time-restricted eating, where you fast for 18 hours and then limit all of your calories to the remaining 6 hours of the day. If your first thought is that 18 hours without food sounds too long, don’t worry – you can make the 18/6 plan work for you. In this article, we’ll explore what 18/6 intermittent fasting is, how you can follow it, and what benefits it can offer.
What Is 18/6 Intermittent Fasting?
18/6 intermittent fasting is a type of fasting where you go 18 hours without food and restrict your feeding window to six hours each day. It’s a popular option for those looking to lose weight, improve their overall health, and reduce their risk of disease.
When following 18/6 intermittent fasting, you eat every day within a time window of 6 hours and fast for 18 hours. Eighteen (18) hours may sound very long, but it’s actually much easier than it sounds. You can use the 18/6 plan to fit in with your lifestyle, as long as you stick to the same 6 hour window each day.
How to Follow 18/6 Intermittent Fasting
It involves splitting up each 24-hour day into an 18-hour continuous fast and a 6-hour open window where you can eat. You can schedule these hours however you like, but it’s important to stick to the same schedule each day. For example, you could decide to fast from 8 pm until 2 pm the following day, or you could fast from 12 am until 6 pm.
With the 18/6 plan, the daily fasting period is extended to be approximately 18 hours, instead of the commonly recommended 16 hours. The reason for this is that it is easier to schedule, and it gives you a longer fasting window, which can have additional health benefits.
The 18 hour fast is partially taken up by the time you spend sleeping. That’s why it’s important to get enough sleep each night. A good night’s sleep will help you to stick to the 18/6 routine and will help you to reap the benefits of the fasting plan.
Health Benefits of 18/6 Intermittent Fasting
When following 18/6 intermittent fasting, it’s important to focus on having nutritious meals within your 6 hour window. Here are some of the potential benefits of this eating plan:
- Weight Loss – 18/6 fasting can help to promote weight loss, as it helps to reduce your overall calorie intake.
- Improved Digestion – Fasting can help to improve your digestive system, as it gives your body a break from constantly digesting food.
- Reduced Inflammation – Intermittent fasting can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Improved Cognitive Function – Fasting can help to improve your focus, concentration, and overall mental clarity.
- Reduced Risk of Disease – 18/6 fasting can help to reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
Tips for Successful 18/6 Fasting
If you’re considering starting 18/6 intermittent fasting, here are some tips to help you get the most out of it:
- Plan Ahead – Planning ahead is key to success with 18/6 fasting. Plan your meals in advance and make sure you have the right foods on hand.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep you hydrated and energized. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol.
- Eat Nutritious Meals – Instead of counting calories, focus on having nutritious meals within your 6 hour window. Make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Be Flexible – Don’t be too rigid with your fasting schedule. If you need to adjust your schedule, that’s ok – just make sure to stick to the same 6 hour window each day.
18/6 intermittent fasting is a great way to improve your overall health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. By planning ahead, staying hydrated, and focusing on nutritious meals, you can make the 18/6 plan work for you.
For further information on intermittent fasting, visit Fasting Books. They offer a wide range of books on fasting and its benefits, which can help you achieve your fasting goals.